5 Great Stops in Dubrovnik for Game of Thrones Fans
The Game of Thrones show has gained impressive popularity over the years in all age ranges and walks of life. Dubrovnik, Croatia, is the lovely city where the production of the show takes place. The land has a rich culture and so much to see and experience for any traveler, making it the perfect destination for the whole family!
These five places are top attractions for Game of Throne fan visitors.
1. The Jesuit Stairs – These famous Baroque stairs appeared in Season Five of the series during the infamous 'Walk of Shame' scene. The stairs extend from Gundulic Square to St. Ignatius Church and embrace Spanish architecture. The iconic scene catapulted the location's popularity and has become a frequently visited landmark. The view from the top is charming and gives you a great view of the city.
2. Fort Lovrijenac – This area is often referred to as St. Lawrence Fortress and is a theater located on the outskirts of the Old Town's western walls in Dubrovnik. The fortress's interior is used for filming the halls of the 'Red Keep' while the exterior captures Blackwater Bay. Visitors are welcome to navigate the fort and experience the ancient history that lies within.
3. City Walls – The impressive City Walls of Dubrovnik were a major deciding factor with producers when selecting Dubrovnik to shoot this beloved series. Countless scenes feature the Medieval style walls, including scenes near the Narrow Sea and many private walks taken on the show. You can take a tour of the walls for a small fee, and you will get a chance to see Lovrijenac Fortress and capture beautiful views of the Adriatic Sea.
4. Tresteno Arboretum – This site is a major filming location, known as the King's Landing and Red Keep's Garden on the show. It's located 10 miles from Dubrovnik. The park is stunning and encapsulates the privacy that's represented in the series. It's one of the oldest arboretums in the world, and the hedges combined with the floral selections are immaculate.
5. Island of Lokrum – This island is located 600 meters from the city and is home to the popular 'Iron Throne.' The throne is housed in the Visitors Center and is free for spectators. You are welcome to pose and snap a few pics sitting on the throne if you'd like. Other Game of Thrones points of interest in Lokrum include the botanical gardens (located off the coast) featured in the city of Quarth and the monastery.
The essence of the show is everywhere in Dubrovnik. As you walk the streets, you will surely recognize details and signature scenes from the series. When you are ready to feel like a Game of Thrones character, book your Complimentary Consultation to begin planning your storybook vacation!